Whether a small or big fire, a fire accident can be overwhelming to maneuver, not forgetting the loss you may have incurred. The first thing you should do is bring your restoration company on board to help with the cleanup. ServiceMaster provides fire damage cleanup in Greater Pittsburgh so that you can reach out to us in the event of a fire.
Dealing with House Fire Damage
Safety is paramount in the event of a fire. Once you ascertain that everyone is safe, call 911 and report the incident. If there are casualties, organize for them to receive immediate medical care at the nearest medical center. Remember to call your loved ones and tell them about the incident, then find somewhere to stay.
Look for a fire professional to initiate the cleanup. If you are in Greater Pittsburgh, ServiceMaster can come on board and help you deal with the situation. We will ensure your home is cleaned thoroughly and restored, resuming operations as soon as possible.
Take Care of Your Valuables
You may need to take measures that ensure the safety of your valuables while you are away. A fire scene can be chaotic; unfortunately, you might lose essential items from theft. If you can, pack important documents with you, pack them up in your emergency kit, and evacuate the area until the cleanup has been done successfully.
Cleaning up your property after a fire can be challenging. Doing it yourself not only poses a safety hazard but can result in further destruction of property. Consider getting professionals for cleanup to ensure adequate cleanup while preserving your valuables.
At ServiceMaster, we provide fire damage cleanup in Greater Pittsburgh and the environs. Our team is equipped with the right tools and equipment to ensure adequate cleanup and restoration of your home after a fire accident.
Spring flooding is common in the US, thanks to melting snow and seasonal rains. There are a few things you can do to protect your home but before you do, have your flood damage cleanup company on speed dial. SM Greater Pittsburgh provides flood damage cleanup in Greater Pittsburgh, helping you restore your home effectively.
What can you do to protect your home from floods in spring?
Have an Emergency Spring Flood Plan
You need a clear plan of the actions you will take if home floods. This should include steps you will take immediately flooding occurs and after. Have contacts of loved ones, plan a place to evacuate to if necessary and pack supplies for that season.
Get Clear on Your Insurance Policy
If you live in a flood risk area, take the time to check with your insurance company. Understand what your company covers in the event of a flood. Knowing this beforehand can help you plan around restoration if flooding occurs.
Install a Sump Pump
A sump pump in your basement or foundation can prevent flood damage in your home. These pumps divert water away from your home’s foundation while keeping your basement dry.
Clear Drains and Gutters
Sudden snow melts and rainstorms can bring about floods in your home. Check all the drains in your home and clear the gutters to ensure a free water flow. If flooding occurs, call SM Greater Pittsburgh; they provide flood damage cleanup in Greater Pittsburgh and can help you deal with the floods.
Consider Flood Detectors
Spring flooding comes with little or no warning, so as much as you may not see it coming, flood detectors can help to some extent.
Prepare for spring floods by implementing the tips above. But, if flooding occurs, do not hesitate to call SM Greater Pittsburgh. Their team of professionals provides flood damage cleanup in Greater Pittsburgh, taking up the challenge to restore your home.
House fires are one of scariest things that homeowners can go through, and after a fire many often feel overwhelmed and not know where to start when it comes to the fire damage cleanup process. Most homeowners will need to get help from fire restoration services in Greater Pittsburgh before they can move back into the home. Leaving the restoration process up to the professionals is always the quickest and best way to ensure your home is restored after a fire, but homeowners should still know what to expect in the process.
Steps to Cleaning Up After a Fire
Companies that provide fire damage cleanup services in Greater Pittsburgh understand that this kind of cleanup needs to follow a detailed and precise plan to be effective. Most companies will follow a process like this:
- Confirm Stabilization- Companies that provide restoration services in Greater Pittsburgh must first obtain clearance from the fire inspector that the home is stable enough to begin restoration and cleanup.
- Removing Personal Items- Teams will move through the home looking for furniture and personal belongings that can be moved out. These will be separated into garbage and what can be cleaned and salvaged.
- Soot, Water, and Debris Removal- One of the most extensive parts of fire damage cleanup is the removal of the soot, water, and debris left after firefighting. The restoration crew will look for mold and mildew and focus on water damage cleanup if necessary. Water and soot cleanup can often take several days, including the drying process.
- Deodorizing and Deep Cleaning- Carpets and walls, as well as personal possessions will need to be done carefully and with commercial cleaning products to avoid issues with mold and mildew. Special attention will be paid to curtains, drapes, and upholstered furniture.
After these four steps are completed by a company that does restoration services personal belongings can be moved back into the home and homeowners can move back in also. The process can take anywhere from several days to several weeks to complete depending on the amount of damage.
If you need fire damage cleanup, call ServiceMaster of Greater Pittsburgh or visit us on Facebook.
One of the predominant reasons for homeowners to seek out a fire damage cleanup company is to help remediate the effects of firefighting. Not only does fire do a lot of damage to homes, but smoke and the water from fighting the fires can be devastating to your property and require professional cleanup.
One of the best ways to prevent widespread fire damage is to keep the batteries in your smoke alarms charged, but some homeowners worry that the smoke detector will go off all the time. However, a fire is not always the reason your smoke alarm might be going off, and do not worry, they will not all result in the need for a fire damage cleanup crew.
Top Reasons Your Smoke Detector is Going Off
- Burning Food- Leaving food in the oven or on the stove for too long is one of the biggest reasons why smoke detectors go off. The toaster and microwave can also easily burn food and cause a lot of smoke to build up. Popcorn is one of the easiest foods to burn in the microwave.
- Fireplaces- If your fireplace is not properly ventilated the smoke can enter your home and cause the fire alarm to go off. If your smoke detector is going off every time you start your fireplace, you might want to have your chimney cleaned or the dampers reset.
- Steam and Humidity- Your smoke detector may not be able to differentiate between smoke particles and steam or humidity molecules. If your home has high humidity you should consider a dehumidifier or reevaluate your ventilation systems.
- Insects- Gnats, spiders, mosquitoes, and other small bugs can crawl into the tiny crevices in the smoke detectors and cause them to malfunction. Open the battery lid or take the smoke detector apart to check for insects and sweep them out. Dust and dirt can also cause malfunctions and false alarms.
Fire Damage Cleanup is never something homeowners want to deal with, but fires and other home disasters are sometimes unavoidable. Make sure to keep your smoke detectors up and with charged batteries to keep your family as safe as possible. The detectors should be outside every bedroom, in the kitchen, and main living areas and hallways.
ServiceMaster of Greater Pittsburgh is here to help when disaster strikes your home or business. Call us today at 412-376-4645.