One of the worst things that can happen to a homeowner is severe flooding. Water can do a lot of damage to homes and can have homeowners seeking out a new place to live temporarily. When you have to do flood damage cleanup, you’re worried about how much it will cost, but also how long the damage will take to fix. The more serious your flood damage is, the longer it will take to mitigate; however, when you’re looking at needing to stay in hotels or other places, you need a general idea of how long you can expect to be away from your home.
Flood Damage Cleanup Process
The flood damage cleanup process should start immediately after flooding occurs. Before calling your homeowner’s insurance company, you should call ServiceMaster and have a professional restoration specialist come to your home for an assessment right away.
Cleaning up floodwaters must be completed in multiple steps. First, all of the standing water must be removed from the carpets, flooring, and anything else that is saturated. After the water is gone, the drying process must start and includes using fans and dehumidifiers to suck all of the moisture out of the air and circulate the air.
Depending on how much water was in the home, the flood damage cleanup process can take anywhere from four days to several weeks. If the damage is extensive and drywall removal and replacement, carpet cleaning, floor replacement, mold removal, or duct cleaning are required, the cleanup process will take a few days longer. You’ll want certified and licensed professionals to complete extensive repairs due to flooding to comply with building standards and codes.
The best way to know for sure the time flood damage will take to clean up and your home to dry out, you should book a consultation with a professional disaster restoration company like ServiceMaster. You’ll be guaranteed the job done quickly and to your satisfaction.
Do you need help with flood damage cleanup? Call ServiceMaster of Greater Pittsburgh today at 412-419-3253.
Flood Damage Cleanup | Carpet Cleaning After A Flood
Flooding is one of the worst residential disasters that homeowners can face. Water can severely damage your home, belongings, and your health, especially if mold has started to grow. This is why homeowners need flood damage cleanup to happen quickly and efficiently. As a rule of thumb, if flooding isn’t cleaned up within 48 hours your carpets and other waterlogged items can end up being a total loss.
Is the Carpet Salvageable After Flood Damage?
Carpets that are removable and area rugs can be sent out for professional cleaning after the water is removed from the room. Unfortunately, carpets that are installed with padding underneath are usually lost after being waterlogged. Installed carpets are nearly impossible to sanitize properly after flood damage cleanup and need to be thrown out and replaced in most cases.
Cleaning Wet Carpets
Not every flooding incident is a total disaster. Carpets that are waterlogged from overfilled tubs, running kitchen sinks, or smaller accidents can be cleaned up by using a wet/dry shop vacuum. This professional-grade vacuum sucks out the water.
If the carpets have been deeply saturated, but you want to try to save them, you may need to pull up the carpet to ensure adequate drying. You’ll also need to replace the padding underneath to prevent mold and spray with disinfectant after drying completely. There are also deodorizers that can help with the smell of wet carpet as it is drying. Fans and open windows will also help with air circulation, fresh scent, and faster drying.
When it comes to flood damage cleanup, professional mitigation is always a great idea. Mold is always a risk after any kind of water damage and, unfortunately, mold is not also seen or smelled until the growth is significant. Let professionals handle the cleanup. Calling a professional will remove the water and the stress. Relax and know the home is clean, sanitary, and free of mold after a flood.
If you’re in need of flood damage cleanup in Pittsburgh, call ServiceMaster of Greater Pittsburg at 412-826-1010.
Flood Damage Cleanup | Before The Professionals Arrive
Flooding in your home is a disaster that can damage the floors, walls, your belongings, and your health. The worst floods can turn your entire house into a loss. Severe flooding can result in having to tear out drywall and rip up all the carpet. Homeowners who are lucky enough to suffer minimal water damage still need to have professional flood damage cleanup to ensure there is no mold growth, and that the water is removed properly.
There’s a few things you need to do before the professionals arrive if you can however:
- Turn off the Power- Water and electricity do not mix. Use the circuit breaker to cut power to your entire home, or the rooms that have been damaged by flooding.
- Ventilate the Room- Even if there is standing water in the room one of the first things you should do is begin to circulate the air, ventilate the room, and start the drying process. Open windows if you can, set up fans using extension cords to outlets in rooms that are not flood-damaged.
- Remove Furniture- When there is no risk of electrocution begin removing furniture and other belongings to prevent further water saturation. Take these items to a place where they can dry out and be cleaned.
- Remove Water- If your area has been hit by a natural disaster, it might be a while before professional flood damage cleanup companies can get to you. Mold begins growing after 48 hours so removing the water and starting flood damage cleanup as soon as possible is imperative. You might need buckets to remove water, a wet/dry vacuum or pumps if you have access to any in order to remove the water.
Flood damage cleanup professionals have tools to make the process go fast and efficiently as well as highly trained crews that can remediate mold and either clean or remove your carpets, damaged drywall, and other things that are water damaged. Protecting your family’s health after a flood is important and professionals can ensure that you don’t have to worry about the health hazard risks of mold after a flood.
If you’ve recently had a flood call ServiceMaster of Pittsburgh at 412-826-1010.
Flood Damage Cleanup | Flooding Complications Homeowners Should Be Aware Of
When you live in coastal communities, you need to be more aware than others of the potential complications that come with flooding, especially during hurricane and storm season. While homeowners on the coast might be more at risk, there are plenty of communities where flooding occurs, and everyone needs to learn about the possible complications flooding can cause in your home. To avoid some of these complications, you need flood damage cleanup immediately after a flood.
- Windows Won’t Close Completely-Flooding can cause your window trip to warp, the seals to degrade, and often, after a destructive flood, new windows are needed.
- Doors Jam or Won’t Latch-Water damage warps wood and can make your door swell and no longer latch or lock properly.
- Cracks, Peeling, Curling of Flooring-Flood damage cleanup can’t always save your flooring after a natural disaster. Standing water can destroy flooring, no matter what material it’s made from.
- Sinking Foundation-One of the signs of a sinking foundation is when the front porch or stoop starts to sink and become uneven. You might also notice cracks in the walls or bowing basement walls. The crawl space floor may also soften and sag. This is dangerous and the longer you avoid flood damage cleanup, the worse it will be.
- Leaning Chimneys-You might not realize that flooding can damage your chimney, but a leaning or cracking chimney is often a sign that your home has undergone serious water damage.
- Mold Damage-Mold can cause allergic reactions, odor, and be damaging to your home’s integrity. The sooner you have flood damage cleanup completed, the less likely you’ll be to have mold growing in your home.
- Electrical Damage-Your electrical system is very fragile when it comes to water damage. You might have flickering lights, outlets that don’t work, circuit breaker issues, or can even experience electrical shock and fires.
If you’ve recently experienced a natural disaster you need to have flood damage cleanup done right away so that these complications don’t get out of hand. Sometimes the flood damage complications can be worse than the actual flood.
If you are looking for flood damage cleanup companies, call ServiceMaster of Greater Pittsburg. Our team of service professionals is efficient, professional, and quick at their jobs, which can save you time and money at the end of your remodel project. Call ServiceMaster of Greater Pittsburg to discuss your residential or commercial cleaning needs today at 412-528-5986.