Flooding is one of the most damaging disasters that can happen to your home. Flood damage can be irreversible and can devastate homeowners, especially those who do not have the added protection of flood insurance. There are many factors at play when it comes to being able to restore your home and achieve a successful flood damage cleanup in Greater Pittsburgh. A professional restoration company can combat all of these.
- How Long Water Has Sat- The longer water is standing in your home, the more damage that will happen. Cleaning up flood damage quickly is imperative to a complete restoration. Flood waters can seep through your floors and cause structural elements of your home such as foundation, support beams, and more to degrade and rot. Do not wait to call a professional restoration company after flood damage if you want to salvage your home.
- Type of Flood Waters- There are three categories of flood waters and category three is the most dangerous and damaging. This category contains the most hazardous contaminants such as sewage and flooding from natural disasters such as hurricanes. If your home has flooding from category two or three, you will need to contact a professional company to complete your flood damage cleanup in Greater Pittsburg.
- Amount of Water- The volume of water has one of the biggest impacts on whether a home can be salvaged after flood damage. More water means more damage and if damage is too great, sometimes trying to do the flood cleanup in Greater Pittsburg can be more expensive than a property is worth and result in a total loss.
The last thing a homeowner wants to worry about after a natural disaster or big flooding accident is if they are going to be able to move back into their home. While nothing can be guaranteed, there is always a better chance of complete restoration if you call the professionals like ServiceMaster to complete your flood cleanup.
If you need flood damage cleanup in your home, call ServiceMaster of Greater Pittsburgh at 412-419-3253 or visit us on Facebook.
Flood Damage Cleanup | Before The Professionals Arrive
Flooding in your home is a disaster that can damage the floors, walls, your belongings, and your health. The worst floods can turn your entire house into a loss. Severe flooding can result in having to tear out drywall and rip up all the carpet. Homeowners who are lucky enough to suffer minimal water damage still need to have professional flood damage cleanup to ensure there is no mold growth, and that the water is removed properly.
There’s a few things you need to do before the professionals arrive if you can however:
- Turn off the Power- Water and electricity do not mix. Use the circuit breaker to cut power to your entire home, or the rooms that have been damaged by flooding.
- Ventilate the Room- Even if there is standing water in the room one of the first things you should do is begin to circulate the air, ventilate the room, and start the drying process. Open windows if you can, set up fans using extension cords to outlets in rooms that are not flood-damaged.
- Remove Furniture- When there is no risk of electrocution begin removing furniture and other belongings to prevent further water saturation. Take these items to a place where they can dry out and be cleaned.
- Remove Water- If your area has been hit by a natural disaster, it might be a while before professional flood damage cleanup companies can get to you. Mold begins growing after 48 hours so removing the water and starting flood damage cleanup as soon as possible is imperative. You might need buckets to remove water, a wet/dry vacuum or pumps if you have access to any in order to remove the water.
Flood damage cleanup professionals have tools to make the process go fast and efficiently as well as highly trained crews that can remediate mold and either clean or remove your carpets, damaged drywall, and other things that are water damaged. Protecting your family’s health after a flood is important and professionals can ensure that you don’t have to worry about the health hazard risks of mold after a flood.
If you’ve recently had a flood call ServiceMaster of Pittsburgh at 412-826-1010.