Flood waters in your home is the last catastrophe anyone wants to deal with but property owners living around the Allegheny River, risk the dangers of flooding. Some people like to be prepared and have the equipment needed to remove flood waters on hand to try to DIY their disaster cleanup; while others rely on professional water damage restoration company to get the job done right.
Some of the equipment needed to remove water from your home can be found at any hardware or home store such as shop vacuums, pumps, and dehumidifiers. However water damage restoration companies have access to industrial grade equipment that makes the job go faster and more efficiently.
Common Industrial Tools for Flood Water Extraction
When it comes to the hazardous conditions that flood waters cause, you want the professional water removal companies handling the disaster cleanup. Some of the tools these companies have at their disposal include
- Light wands/ carpet wands
- Deep extraction tools
- Trash pumps
- Submersible pumps
- High-pressure pumps
- Extraction units
- Personal protection equipment
- Industrial grade cleaning products and chemicals
- Mold remediation chemicals
- Commercial carpet cleaners
- Industrial box fans
While some of this equipment can be purchased through janitorial supply stores or commercial sales, the cost will often outweigh what you would spend on professional water removal companies. Relying on a team of people who cleanup flood damage and complete disaster restoration will cost less and take less time than trying to DIY a disaster as large as flooding.
Cost of Professional Water Removal Services
Professional water removal services will range in price from a few hundred to few thousand dollars depending on the extent of damage and services needed to fully remediate the property. Luckily, homeowner’s insurance and flood protection add-ons can sometimes help cover these costs. You might also have home warranties or appliance warranties that can be applied to water cleanup if the flooding was a result of sump pump or appliance failure.
ServiceMaster of Greater Pittsburg is here to help you with all of your water cleanup needs. Call us today at 412-376-4645.
Flooding is one of the most devastating things that can happen to a home. When floods occur, there is often structural damage, loss of personal possessions, and more that can happen. Some homeowners worry that when they can return to the home, water damage restoration will be impossible. Some home damage needs much more work than others; however, there are many cases where salvaging furniture and even documents are possible.
Steps to Salvaging Water Damaged Furniture
Before entering a home and beginning any sort of water damage restoration, you must ensure you are taking the proper safety precautions including wearing boots, a dust mask, gloves, and protective clothing. Make sure the power is turned off if there was extensive flooding or standing water still in the home. When you are safe, there are several steps to the furniture restoration process.
- Separate what is salvageable from what needs to be thrown away. Make sure to take pictures of everything for your insurance claim. When evaluating saving a piece of furniture you must consider the extent of damage and how much it will cost to restore vs. Buying something new. You might also need to consider sentimental value. Upholstered furniture will be difficult to save and restore if it has been sitting in the water because of bacteria and mold. Wood furniture that has been saturated may warp and be unrepairable.
- The furniture you will save needs to be removed from the home if possible and laid under the sun to dry out. If you cannot take the pieces outside, move them into a dry room with fans and ventilation.
- Cleaning and sanitizing the furniture after it is dry is especially important. A home solution of ammonia and warm water should kill bacteria. You might need to consider using a mold killer as well. Wipe dry but do not put back into the room until water damage restoration is complete.
- Mattress shampooing is possible for beds and sometimes for upholstered furniture such as cushions or pillows. Profession cleaners are the optimal solution for restoring any of your upholstered furniture.
Salvaging your water-damaged furniture can be exceedingly difficult and professional water damage restoration companies always have your back in times of crisis. If you need someone to help you restore your home after a flood or help you salvage furniture, call Service Master of Pittsburgh.
ServiceMaster of Pittsburgh is here to get you through some of the most stressful times of homeownership. Call us for water damage cleanup today at 412-376-4645.