Homeowners who have ever dealt with a flood know that their worst enemy is mold. In fact, homeowners are often doing everything they can to make their homes mold-resistant if they live in coastal communities, flood zones, or have dealt with basement flooding from storm runoff. One of the best times to design a mold-resistant home is when you are remodeling or building new; however, a mold removal company can help homeowners with some of these upgrades if they ever do suffer a mold infestation.
- Mold Resistant Building Materials- There are building materials that are made specifically to be mold-resistant, and others that don’t take mold resistance into consideration at all when being manufactured. Some building materials are also naturally resistant to mold such as stone or tile. Make sure to ask your mold removal company about mold-resistant drywall.
- Seal Concrete Floors-Concrete subflooring needs to be coated with a waterproof crystalline sealant to create a moisture barrier between the slab and any flooring you install on top of the slab.
- Insulate Pipes-If the temperatures get below freezing during winter months, you need to make sure your pipes are insulated to protect against cracking or bursting. Even the tiniest leaks can cause moisture to promote mold growth.
- Filtered HVAC-Your HVAC system can be equipped with a filter or air purifier that catches mold spores in the air, so they aren’t circulated around your home. This is one of the first upgrades a mold removal company might recommend if a mold infestation has already occurred.
- Dehumidifiers-Most central air systems pull humidity out of the air; however, if a home is prone to moisture or humidity (look for condensation on the walls or windows) a dehumidifier can be installed to help pull any additional moisture from the air. Small, transportable ones are affordable and perfect for small homes.
If you ever notice or suspect mold growth in your home, call a mold removal company as soon as possible to set up a mitigation consultation. Mold can pose serious health threats to humans and animals you care about and must be removed immediately.
Call ServiceMaster of Pittsburgh to learn more about mold removal today at 412-376-4645.