Water disasters come in many sizes—from a small appliance leak, to a flood that can damage the structure of your home. All sized water disasters need to be cleaned up as soon as possible. The bigger disasters, such as flooding or accidents resulting in standing water, need a professional. In order to prevent damage to your home or business, you need a professional water damage restoration company in Greater Pittsburgh. For the smaller water accidents, there are several tips you can employ at home to clean up.
- Wet/Dry Vacuum- A shop vacuum or wet/dry vacuum is vital for cleaning up water disasters at home. There are many varied sizes and the size you need will depend on how much water is standing. These vacuums are made to suction water. Do not use your regular household vacuum to try to remove water from carpets.
- Dehumidifiers- Most homeowners have fans, but what companies that perform water disaster restoration know is that it is the dehumidifiers that are vital to drying out the room. Dehumidifiers pull moisture lingering in the air and as it evaporates from the walls, floors, and furniture to stop mold and mildew from growing.
- Always Turn off Power- When your home is flooded, the power needs to be completely cut off to the home to avoid electrocution risks. If the water disaster is contained to one room or is only enough to saturate the carpet, you can turn off the breaker to only that room.
- Always Wear PPE- Wearing Personal Protective Equipment is especially important when cleaning up water disasters. Gloves, rubber boots, protective eyewear and sometimes even a full body suit are necessary for cleaning up hazardous waste like flood waters or sewage backup.
Water damage restoration can take a day to complete or sometimes weeks depending on the extent of damage. The number one tip any homeowner can take advantage of when dealing with flooding is to call a professional water cleanup company such as ServiceMaster.
ServiceMaster of Greater Pittsburgh is here to help you with all your water cleanup needs. Call us today at 412-376-4645.
Every homeowner knows that one of the most vulnerable parts of their home is the basement. Flooding, leaks, sewer backup, and sump pump failure happens to even the most diligent of homeowners which is why there are water damage removal companies ready to rescue you from your latest disaster. However, wouldn’t it be nice if you could just prevent flooding in your basement? Well luckily, you can! There are several ways to protect your dry basement and belonging to water damage, just follow the tips and tricks below.
- Basement Sealant- Sealant is a high-quality waterproof paint that stops moisture from coming into the home from the outside. Sealant rolls or brushes on quickly and is quite easy to use. When the liquid dries it creates a watertight barrier. Five gallons is typically needed for a 500 square footwall.
- Strategic Gardens- Many homeowners like to line the perimeter of their home in a beautiful garden and flower beds; however, constant watering of the plants can increase the water seeping into the ground and raise your risk for foundation leaks. Plant bushes and other plants that do not need much water around your foundation and save the pretty blooms for the lawn, around trees, or along a fence line.
- Interior Drainage- Sometimes you need more than just a sump pump to avoid having a water damage removal company on speed dial. Interior drainage channels are installed inside the basement walls. You will need a foundation contractor to complete this job, and the price tag is high; however, homes that are in flood zones can often benefit from this solution.
- Smart Storage- Keeping your belonging up off the floor if your basement is used for storage is important to reduce their risk of water damage. Shelving and plastic, waterproof storage totes are the best to utilize if your basement is used for storage of your personal belongings and mementos.
Water damage removal is costly and takes several days to complete in the worst cases. Avoid having a total loss by following our tips and tricks for maintaining a dry basement. If you run into trouble and need professional flood damage help, call ServiceMaster today!
Set up an appointment with your ServiceMaster of Greater Pittsburgh today by calling 412-314-3832