Water Damage Cleanup in Greater Pittsburgh | How to Handle Mold After Water Damage
Mold poses health risks such as asthma, skin irritations, and allergic reactions. It is therefore essential to clean it up promptly in the event of water damage. With the help of professionals for water damage cleanup in Greater Pittsburgh, you can manage the situation and restore your home to full functionality.
Below are tips for mold cleanup that you can implement and prevent further damage and potential health risks.
Use Personal Protective Equipment
As mentioned, mold can cause health issues with prolonged exposure. Before entering any moldy site, protect yourself using personal protective equipment such as respirators, gloves, and eye protection.
Get professional Mold Cleanup Services
You can clean up mold by yourself; however, the process may be challenging or dangerous for you. The best approach is to hire professionals for water damage cleanup in Greater Pittsburgh and leave the job to them.
Professionals have the right set of tools and skills to handle the most challenging mold cleanup job. They follow specific cleanup processes to ensure complete removal and treatment of mold to restore your property to full functionality.
Safe DIY Mold Cleanup
If you have to clean up mold by yourself, below are tips to guide you on complete removal of it to prevent further damage:
- Wear protective equipment before entering a mold-affected area.
- Remove standing water and any wet materials.
- Use a vacuum to extract water from floors, carpets, and other hard surfaces. Dry every surface as early as possible to prevent further damage.
- Open all windows and doors to allow air to flow in and help in moisture removal and ventilation.
- Once it is safe to use electricity, use dehumidifiers and fans to extract moisture.
- Use clean water and detergent to clear all the visible mold.
- Dry the affected area thoroughly and fix the water issue that caused the damage.
- Get rid of items that cannot be cleaned or dried.
These tips can guide you in handling mold in the event of water damage on your property. While they are helpful for DIY cleanup, it is best to seek the services of ServiceMaster. They provide water damage cleanup in Greater Pittsburgh, taking up the challenge to restore your home.