Water Damage Removal | When Your Pool Overflows and Causes Basement Leaks
Summer is upon us, and as you are filling up the swimming pool, one thing you need to keep in mind is accidentally flooding the basement or crawlspace. Many things could happen that can cause a pool to overfill or leak and cause a huge mess requiring water damage removal in your home or even your neighbors. Don’t worry, though! Even if the unthinkable happens and your basement is flooded, some professionals can assist in the restoration process.
Steps to Water Damage Removal and Basement Flooding
If your swimming pool has flooded your basement, there are a few steps you’ll need to take to ensure the proper water damage cleanup.
- Find The Foundation Leak-You’ll need to find where the crack in the foundation or crawlspace is located so that you can stop any additional water from entering the basement. You will most likely need a professional contractor to find a long term solution to a foundational problem.
- Water Removal- Your basement may have a sump pump that will remove the water from the basement, but if the pump has failed, you’ll need an alternative method. Wet/dry vacuums or pumps and hoses can be used to remove the water from your basement.
- Remove Furniture- Any items or furniture in your basement that have been saturated with water need to be removed from the basement and allowed to dry completely. If items can not be removed from the basement, but are salvageable, make sure to keep a fan on them.
- Drying Out- Once the water removal has occurred, you’ll need to run dehumidifiers and fans in the basement to circulate air and remove any leftover moisture. The fans will help to dry out the basement and any furniture or personal effects.
- Cleaning- The last step of water damage removal is to thoroughly clean all surfaces in the basement with a bleach solution. You’ll need to take care to mitigate any mold or mildew issues that you may see or smell.
Water damage in your basement needs to be taken care of immediately, and sometimes the situation can be overwhelming. Professional services are available to handle water damage in your basement, or anywhere else in your home or business.
If you’ve had a basement flood, call ServiceMaster of Pittsburgh at 412-314-3832.